Quick and Dirty Bench Recover DIY

In my dining room we have a lovely 150-year-old library table built by my husbands great-grandfather. It’s solid Oak and absolutely gorgeous, however there are no matching chairs. Last fall, prior to my daughter’s arrival we realized that we really need to have more than two chairs. I bought a beige bench from Nebraska Furniture Mart in The Colony, TX and it was a perfect fit, but it did not wear well. With two large pups, a baby and lots of visitors a year later the bench is looking pretty rough.

20170921_141248 (1).jpg

See the big stain!? Not sure if that is baby or fur-baby related! So it was definitely time to recover this bad boy, but I am certainly not a professional at this. However I can wield a staple gun and a pair of scissors with a moderate amount of skill.

After making a trip to Hobby Lobby I found some upholstery fabric for $6.00 per yard, bought two yards and I was on my way! Note here, I wouldn’t try covering an piece of upholsterted furniture with anything other than upholstery fabric, it just won’t wear as well.

Getting Started 

Now in the title I note that this was a quick and dirty job, I didn’t measure twice and measure once again for good practice. I had limited time before I would relieve my mother-in-law from baby duty and had to get cracking. I knew that I wouldn’t have tons of fabric left over, but I had more than I needed. I laid the fabric over the bench and tried to make sure it was even on all sides, and that the geometric pattern was lined up with the edges. If was crooked it would look very odd.

Start with the Ends

I flipped the bench up so I could see the underside and pull the fabric tight. Eyeballing it I determined I didn’t need all the fabric on the end so I cut the extra and stapled the remaining in to place. Once the end was material was fixed to the underside of the bench  I folded the fabric and created a pleat that ran down to the leg and pulled it around, stapling it so the material remained tight.


And Again on the Other End

I repeated the same procedure on the opposite end of bench, remembering to use the same pattern for tucking, pleating and wrapping the material around the leg. If you don’t do this, it will be strange and bug you. Or at least it would drive me nuts not be symetrical.


On to the Sides

At this point I flipped the bench upside-down, trimmed the excess material and stapled the fabric along the underside of the bench, while making sure there was no slack. This whole process took less than 15 minutes and didn’t require anything more that a staple gun and a pair of scissors. I didn’t measure, remove anything or take anything apart. Plus the whole replacement cost me a whopping $12


Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: